Trap, Neuter, Vaccinate & Release (TNR) Programs“TNR” programs are common throughout the city of London, and are actively supported by Cats R Us.
Here are some guidlines and tips to better ensure success for a TNR program:
- Get help: It is important to have resources available to help trap, shelter, feed and care for the cats for the duration they are there. You must learn about techniques for trapping and handling during the duration.
- Work in groups: A supportive, cooperative community will make your work considerably easier, while a hostile or uninvolved one will make it far more difficult.
- Set Up Feeding Stations and Shelters:
By arranging a regular feeding schedule, you will train the cats to show up at a certain place at a certain time, and you’ll be able to withhold food and get them hungry when you want. This will make trapping much easier. Improving the cats’ nutrition by improving the quality of their food will better prepare them for the stress of trapping and neutering. Adequate shelter also promotes their health and assists in locating them.
- Make sure there is a holding space for the trapped cats:
Depending on the size of the colony, trapping all the cats may take two or three days. A space is needed to hold the cats as the colony is being trapped, and for them to recover in for at least 48 hours following surgery.
- Separate the adoptable cats and kittens:
Decide before you catch them who is going to do the fostering and how you´ll go about adopting them.
- Arrange for spay/neuter with local veterinarian: You´ll need to find a clinic or individual veterinarian and set a date to spay/neuter the cats.
- Arrange to have volunteers to trap;
Make sure there are enough people available for the size of the colony. Make sure that there are enough experienced people to ensure success. There must also be arrangements made to transport the colony to and from the veterinarian.
- Release: All cats that are suitable for are to be returned and released. The returned cats will continue to be fed for the duration of their lives.
Cats R Us is more than willing to assist you with a TNR program.